Although the island does not have its own name, it was unofficially called " Hawaii - Island of Love ". It is 445 meters long, 56 meters in the widest place, only 4 meters in the narrowest part. The site was originally part of the left bank of the Elbe and served as a frequently fertilized pasture. As part of the flow regulation, the left waterfront was first straightened and the weir was built. Builders excavated the boat retreat and proposed a artificial island dividing river flow into two streams. The waterwork including the island was approved in 1925.
After completion of the entire water work, according to the significant architect Antonín Engela, the greater part of the island was made available to the public as a parkland at the time of the rapid development of the Poděbrady spa. The island park with benches and lighting served as a place with a panoramic view until the late 1960s for the fun and relaxation of both locals and visitors.
Today, the island is accessible on foot from 7:00 to 21:00 daily, with cultural events longer. In addition to cultural and social events, the island is free of charge. For example, there is a child corner where sheep and goats can caress. At the public fireplace, buy cookies .